Sunday, January 23, 2011

FOR THE GOOD...

Michael and I spend countless hours together...hey, we're retired...that's what come retired people do, spend hours together. He reads all our 'morning things' to me and we discuss and discuss. Quite often one of us comes across something we've read many times but...it didn't hit home as clearly as perhaps it could have/should have. For instance...in our Sunday morning class we're studying Galatians. This morning we read Gal 5:22-23 from the Message and it opened my eyes to something I had long missed out on...it touched my heart.

Many of you know that I was addicted to prescription drugs for more than thirteen years...that is something I am ashamed of...but...it happened, and I'm a better person by far for the occurrence. Michael and our four sons worked w/God to awaken me...it was none too soon. If they hadn't taken action I would have been gone, never to return. No one...not one...ever 'noticed' my addiction; that's odd, I think. I surely couldn't have been that good an actress...surely not. That's done with...it's past and forgiven.

Here's my point...I returned to God's way.

Galatians 5:22-23 from the Message..."But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard...things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely."

I always wanted...oh yes...I always wanted to be tall, long legged, you know...willowy! (Scratch that...hopeless). And different, I always wanted to be different; okay, my name is different to begin with...I have a leg w/road maps and ink spots all over it...let's see, what else? Oh yeah, my voice is sort of difficult to understand...oops, one more...I have a pesky familial tremor. I'm different enough, right? Sometimes little things come along to tweak your thinking ...like this quote by Arthur Freed..."Don't try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough." Okay I'm done w/being different ~ I'm being good...just being good.

By no means am I 100% good today...but I am much better today than even yesterday. What if I begin treating each person I meet like one of us wouldn't be around tomorrow...if this was our last day? That's my objective from now on...giving each person my undivided attention...helping them in any possible way...showing kindness...life would be good.

I can tell you this (I learned the hard way...you don't need to take such a difficult route), God's way is the best way...I'm making it my only way. How 'bout you?

Balanced and unafraid...

No comments: