Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Labels...

Someone has a theory that at one time or another, everyone has been an outcast in high school, a stranger in a foreign land, the best at something, the worst at something, the one who's different. I've been on the fringe in school (I moved at least once a year), been a stranger in four foreign lands. I might be 'the best' (on my block) at making cards...I'm definitely the worst at singing and 'I'm different'...after all, my name is Vasca.

Michael and I moved many times and we adapted well...although at times we were not readily accepted because everyone knew we wouldn't be there long. Once, a beautiful christian woman who was my age said she could tell me something confidential because I was 'a migrant'...it stung and after she'd told me 'the secret' I told her we planned to retire there. That was very un-nice and extremely catty of me. Lesson learned...I'm nicer these days.

Bad enough in society itself...but in my mind, I'm thinking we also label people in our churches. I don't mean to 'harp' on churches; it's just that God and His family occupy most of my life. Back to the labels. Are you a liberal or a conservative? Like what do you mean? Well, do you clap in worship? Well, yes I do...when I feel moved to do so. I can't sit on my hands when it is so wonderful worshipping my God...we are to be joyful. Do you kneel in prayer at worship? Um-mm, when there is sufficient room for me to get my creaky knees down and back up. Kneeling in prayer is as old as the hills...like me.

Do you think the Holy Spirit is active in your life? That's a positive 'Yes'...I don't just think it, I know it. How do you know it? Because...from the get- go Father was prepping me for what He had planned for me, for Michael. I'll save the explanation for another post...it's an entire post in itself. I think you'd love it. Some don't believe the Spirit is active outside the word.

So many labels...liberal/conservative...right/wrong...sinful/un-sinful...scriptural/non-scriptural...label after label stuck on each of us....how hurtful can we be to each other. A famous boxer said, 'Don't we have something better to do than to beat each other up?"

I hope we don't purposely want to upset each other with what we do as Christians...I realize we don't all agree...but we can disagree w/o being disagreeable, right? Of course! Just because I differ w/you...you differ w/me...does that mean we can't be 'friends'? Does that mean we can't associate with each other? And something I really must be careful of...does it make me angry? If the answer to that stinger is 'yes' I'd best really get down on my knees and beg forgiveness. That is an unhealthy state of things...ouch.

Here's the nitty-gritty...how's my christian health? I pray that it's good ~ honestly, I'm doing my best and remembering that labels are for cans, not people.

Balanced and unafraid...








1 comment:

Cody Chumbley said...

I think labels always come down to the reality people see in themselves and they project it in others. Whats crazy is it is only reality in them because they choose it and hear not their true name, Child of God.