Saturday, February 19, 2011

WORRIES? TROUBLES?

What in the world is going on? Trouble...trouble...trouble!

Like most, I watched much of what took place in Egypt. Cairo and Alexandria seemed to be the focal points. You ever been there? I have...Cairo...in 1970 I had an unexpected stopover at their International airport. Even then it was frightening.

Michael was Port Commander of a U.S. base in Eritrea (Ethiopia) and he flew me over for a rehab stay of six weeks. Shortly before I was to leave, one of Michael's sergeant's was stopped on the road and murdered for no apparent reason...they didn't even take the government dispatches or any of his personal effects...it was a dangerous place but thankfully I was allowed to fly in...and what an experience I had.

We were honored to be in the presence of the Emperor, Haile Selassie; this was before the crown was overthrown. His grandson was a friend of Michael's and we'd been with him on several occasions...a very nice gentleman.

Unfortunately, he & I were on the same plane when I flew home...the Egyptians were angry w/the Ethiopians...as an insult to him they ordered us to leave the plane so they could 'disinfect' it. Soldiers w/machine guns lined the runway and everywhere else...we were told to take our possessions and go to the terminal for several minutes.

Inside, I headed for the restrooms and on a long stairway I ran headlong into the Emperor's grandson and all his guards...not a good situation for me. I didn't mean to be rude but I did cut his conversation short; not wise to hang around with all that ammunition...aargh.

When the coup took place, the grandson was the first to lose his head...followed by all the families...sad, sad. Troubles? Oh yeah...very serious troubles.

I think it was Robert Fulghum who said, "If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then...you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience."

I can watch the worrisome news...and...I am very concerned about it; but I've no control over it. I can't allow it to make me ill...I cannot allow it to take over my life.

It's of paramount importance that I always, always recognize that God is in charge here...no one else...it's God.

Dr. Seuss said,
"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

No need to 'buy protection'...and I sure don't need a bat...why should I when I already have the best protection ever. God sent His Spirit to guide me...God is my steering wheel and my driver. Trusting Him enables me to keep my head...where it belongs...with HIM.

Troubles? I don't got no troubles, how 'bout you? Balanced and Unafraid....

No comments: