Saturday, February 26, 2011

FALLING FLAT...ON MY FACE...

Do you ever think about falling flat on your face? Or perhaps I should ask if you have ever fallen flat on your face? Just thinking about it is stressful enough...aargh.


Robert C. Gallagher said, "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have and should have."


Some personal notes here:

Making a career of the military wasn't so much a difficult decision for Michael and me; the difficult part was the naysayers trying to dissuade us. 'Michael, Vasca and the kids will be 'camp followers'...really? Not exactly a vote of confidence.


Our first assignment was in Virginia; Michael was given command of a stevedore unit of several hundred men...imagine coming out of the National Guard into that. Even more shocking was the fact the unit was in 'a secret place'. M could've fallen flat on his face...but...he didn't. He did his best and that was good.


What about me and my little men? We arrived in Virginia on a Saturday, were in worship Sunday and didn't know a soul. A couple of newlyweds invited us out to look at their quarters on post and we accepted. She said, "I never dreamed you would"...they remain some of our closest friends.


We were assigned the last set of quarters on post because of M's assignment; he flew out three days later to an undisclosed destination for an unknown period of time. Ouch, the boys and I were left w/nothing but 5 army cots and matching linens. Our household goods were delayed somewhere in the U.S. The boys and I could've fallen flat on our faces...but...we didn't. We did our best and that was good.


Next up was Greece...we'd never flown and there we were; four little guys w/two rather inexperienced parents. Our first Sunday there? We hired a taxi, rode from the mountains past Athens to the seaside for worship, bummed a ride home. We did our best and that was good.


Many more places to test our grit...and it wasn't over by a long shot.


China was something that ordinarily one doesn't think about ~ that's the way we were. Until? God called and we answered...we could've fallen flat on our faces...but...we didn't. We did our best and that was good.


Wherever we've lived things/people have been different...so many differences and it was most important that we adapt, adjust...flex out minds/attitudes. And, this is important, not get out of joint because they do things differently...surprisingly, we don't have a corner on the 'this is the way we do things' department.


Believe me, I've fallen on my face lots of times...but I got up and kept going...'cause I had to.
But here's a thought...even if I fall flat on my face, I'm still moving forward, right?

Thank you, Father for always being there, for always holding my hand.
Balanced and Unafraid...

No comments: